Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Here's an esoteric moment.

On Sunday I was visiting one of the many museums here in Budapest. This museum is called the House of Terror which is comemorating the victims of Communism in Hungary. The museum is run, however, by the Right wing of the Hungarian political scene. Consequently it is painting a somewhat obscured picture of the facts about Communism in Hungary. My history professor called the museum the "Disney Land of the history of Communism in Hungary." After only a few minutes in the place I came to realize the truth of her statement.

Here is the esoteric moment. At one point in the museum my professor was commenting on one part of the exhibit which was particularly misleading about the numbers of individuals murdered by the various regimes which took power after World War I in Hungry. Commenting about this my professor said "I am a post-structuralist historian, but, come on!, there are some facts."

No one responded to this comment, and she didn't really care. I thought it was the funniest thing I had heard in a good long while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home