Thursday, May 20, 2004

For anyone interested in a summary of my conclusions about my foray into the jungle of Budapest academic life, see my little piece "Community at Tabor" which was published in the Tabor Mathematical Sciences department newsletter recently. There's no talk of mathematics--interesting, but done on purpose.

For anyone interested in what I've been doing in Budapest (other than studying mathematics I don't understand) see my little piece on Georg Lukács, a 20th century Hungarian philosopher. I wrote this little piece as the final project to the history class ("Making of Modern Central Europe") I took here. Lukács (the 'cs' in Hungarian is pronounced like 'ch' in English) is a philosopher who, I think, will affect my thinking for some time to come. I've even been contemplating picking up where he left off (when he joined the Hungarian Communist party in 1918) as far as his trying to develop a synthesis which transcends the fleeting moments of the aesthetic but yet isn't offensive to the "enlightened" mind. Yes, unfortunately, this implies some sort of absolute metaphysics, this is whole problem he was trying to deal with in the first place! Anyway, the thing you can read is just me getting to know the Lukács of pre-1919. After that, he gave up, and never again went back to, his work on the problem of aestheticism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home