Wednesday, June 29, 2005

job

So I didn't get the permanent position working at Tabor. So I guess I'll roof for a month or two after my summer contract is up and then move somewhere else since there aren't a lot of interesting job oportunities in Hillsboro. We'll see.

It's about time I got out of Hillsboro anyway. Most of my other peers have done that long ago. Furthermore, I've done it before--in Budapest--and I loved it. When I lived there, even though school sucked to a certain degree, I liked the resolve it gave me to be organized and not a slob like I am living at home--e.g. hitting the snooze button for an hour or more and not getting up in time to get to work until 9 am. (of course, part of that is also because I work at Tabor, and there's not exactly a nasty boss here yelling at me for it, maybe that would be a good thing, for me). In Budapest I actually got up early enough to make a real breakfast and do some reading/praying(/meditating/directed thinking) before I went to class. At home I was lucky to get up five minutes before class.

The thing that sucks is that it would've been nice to get this job so I could gain more experience working as a sys admin in an environment conducive to me learning more and more, instead of coming to a place where nobody knows me and I'm expected to know everything already. I'm thinking about getting some certifications, maybe renewing my CCNA certification, which has lapsed. Of course there's always those vo-tech schools advertising on television. One of them around here advertise for courses in programming. I've been developing a projector manager application (that controls projectors mounted on a ceiling in a presentation room), putting to good use all those nerdy hours I spent in high school teaching myself C++ instead of having a social life, but I think I need some formal education if I could hever hope getting a job doing programming, I've only taken one programming course here at Tabor, which didn't do much to teach me anything more about programming, but did give some experience developing a project in a team environment. We'll see; that, or maybe I'll just do odd-job things until I go to school again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Smith said...

These are supposed to be wicked good job hunting sites:
www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.workzoo.com
also check out craigs list they might have a site for where ever you decide to move to.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

there's also idealist.org...a good place to look for pc non profit work.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home