Monday, June 28, 2004

Harvest is sort of over, finally. Really, it's just fizzling out. There are a few more acres to be cut yet, but my obligations to devote all my time to this activity are at an end. This morning I'll be starting work at Tabor doing computer stuff--we'll see how that goes after three years of not doing anything with computers and computer networks.

Last Monday I went to Kansas City to visit some friends--it had rained the evening before, so, too wet to cut wheat. We went to a couple of bar type places. One was more of a pub with out-door tables on a deck type thing underneath trees with dim lights hanging around. There were some noisy types there but the beer was pretty good--some sort of Kansas City home brew. When they set out the glasses they had a slice of lemon on the edge of the glass, like we were going to be drinking iced tea or something. I'm not too sold on drinking beer with a lemon taste, especially the cloudy wheat beer they're brewing up in KC.

A sort of realization: Each generation has this big idea that it's going to "save" the next generation by preaching all their "wisdom" gained in their "long" experience. Unfortunately this won't do. Why? Because people don't learn by being told what's what, but people learn by their own experience. If some old fart tells you not to live a certain way or such and such will happen, what're you going to do, just take it on faith that he's right or are you going to figure it out for your self? Which option is true life? In my opinion, the latter. I don't like this idea that somehow the previous generations pass on some sort of gained wisdom. Why? Is it because I'm a disgruntled 21 year old (I'm not a disgruntled teenager anymore, I suppose)? No, rather I think there's a wealth of evidence to show that this world is pretty messed up and has been ever since there were people grabbing for power and wealth over and more than others. Just look at it! I don't have to point it out to you. Living in this world shows that that is true. Of course, if you're good at playing this game of grabbing then you'll protest to my saying this. But I'm particularly bad at playing this game: it sickens me. As long as people are playing this "game" then the world will remain as it is and the cycle of birth, life, and death will continue and the cycle of the generational conflicts will continue on and on repeating itself. I guess if everybody just quits trying to steal what everybody else has, then this world might make a turnaround, but I don't think that will ever happen. If some generation were to successfully pass on this as gained wisdom to a following generation, then perhaps I could say that it was worth the effort of an older generation preaching to a younger one, but untill that happens, I will remain skeptical.

Please note that these are not intended to be rational thoughts. Don't try to trip me up by finding "contradictions." If you think you've found one then that's wonderful for you, you're pretty good at playing language games. But as for me and myself, I will not serve the god of the law of non-contradiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home