Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sea Change

Today was an excelent day teaching. I got through all the material I needed to get through with a couple of minutes to spare, so there was no rushing and fretting over what examples to cover and which ones to ommit. In the first class I did have to ommit a couple of examples but they were merely additional examples trying to hit home a topic that is very foreign to non-math people: taking an equation in two unknowns and algebraicly determining if it defines a function and not merely a relation. Of course in both classes I taught the "vertical line test" which I really hate because its just a crutch. But that is the most one can offer students at this level of math class. However, I did try to give them some sense of the algebraic method for some simple examples. I think I got through to them. Today my grader finally made contact with me so I will no longer have to grade homeworks. Furthermore, last night I stayed up late writing my lecture notes for both today and Friday. So tomorrow's preparation will simply involve going over the notes making sure I've covered everything needed.

This weekend will be a three-day weekend so I will have some extra time for homework. I did start on my Probability Theory homework during my office hours, but by 4:30 I couldn't concentrate any longer so I went back to my apartment. After watching some TV I fell asleep for about an hour and a half, woke up groggy and watched some more TV. I will probably do some more work on probability before going to bed.

Now as I write I'm listening to Beck's "Sea Change" album--now playing "Lonesome Tears", my favorite track on the album. Especially the line "How could this love--ever changing--never change the way I feel." and then further on "How could this love--ever turning--never turn its eye on me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home