Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Melting

The ice cap that's been covering central Kansas for the past couple of weeks is finally beginning to melt. The streets have become streams lined with piles of dirty snow that's been plowed up by tractors trying to clear them. The sun feels very warm; it's finally above freezing after having been in the 10 - 20 range for over a week. Stepping outside feels like one giant sigh and stretch after a good night's sleep. Unfortunately I'm writing all this in choppy sentences. But I still like the cold, I think, even though the warmth is nice. The past week I've loved going out and bracing the single digit temperatures with my scarf and cap; now it's over for a time and I can go out without having a scarf or cap or my coat buttoned up tight. The wind blows over my head. The side of my body turned towards the sun feels the warmth of the sun after not knowing this phenomenon for some time. I am torn between the oposing forces of the sensual comfort of the warmth and the seductive masochism of the cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home