Saturday, September 02, 2006

belly-dancing and math and ouzo

So last night I went to a party at which there were belly dancers and ouzo and everybody there was a math graduate student. The belly dancers were the ones throwing the party. Shortly before that we played a game similar to mafia. At one point I was in the center of the room with two beautiful Turkish women trying to teach me how to dance like them. I'm convinced that they must have extra vertibrae or something. My mennonite bones prevented me from moving as gracefully as them. The people at the party were an interesting mix of Americans sitting on the fringes sipping wine and Ouzo and Indians, Chinese and the Turks in the middle. And just outside there were rednecks sipping on bud light and washing a giant red 4x4 pickup.

I just have to say that Ouzo must have a very high alcohol content because I had only one shot and two hours later it was still effective. So I ended up walking about two miles back to my apartment through the KU campus, making sure to dodge all the frat boys wandering around loudly.

Unfortunately I haven't got any work done today. Need to work on probability. There's an assignment due Tuesday. And there are other due dates looming already. A take-home exam on the 11th that I need to prepare for (even though it's a take-home exam all the problems will be derived from the homework problems so I need to work through the homeworks in order to prepare). I don't have to prepare for class until Friday though--just a review day on Wednesday. Though I'll need to do some grading on Tuesday probably even though I have a grader. He's on vacation and didn't get the afternoon assignments collected on Friday.

Today I didn't do much other than take a few short naps and go back and get my car. And grocery shopping. I still have to go to the laundromat--tomorrow probably.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

Hi Dave,
I just recently found your blog...I was wondering...was this the first you've heard of ouzo? I have never had any but from my understanding it's a bit like sambuca (which could probably get you buzzed from the smell!) or grappa (vile, vile stuff...)
I like how you paint the picture of different cultures!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home